What is UMatter?
- An active bystander intervention program that supports a culture where people care about and help each other.
- Provides skills to safely identify and help individuals in need.
- Raises awareness to access resources in the UGA community.
Choose to Matter at UGA
- Choose to take action early – before a situation escalates. This can be effective and safer for everyone involved.
- Choose to confront friends who make excuses for inappropriate behavior. Even small things such as comments, jokes, media, or music lyrics promote a culture of violence and disrespect. Sometimes all it takes is a look!
- Choose to support a community where people care about each other. Your actions can reinforce the expectations of the UGA community to offer help when needed.
- Choose to be part of a community that encourages one another to speak up or act.
How can you show others that they matter?
- Attend the FREE UMatter Active Bystander Intervention Program and receive a Fontaine Center t-shirt.
- Bring your friends.
You never know when the next person who needs help will be you!
Large Group or Student Organization?
Click here to request a program!
Request a UMatter Program
The Bystander Effect
Would you know what to do? Become a WatchDawg and learn the skills to help!
“I was walking home with friends from downtown and saw someone passed out. I considered helping but realized I had no idea what to do.” - K.T., 1st year
“We were at the house and heard two people yelling next door. We didn’t know if we should go knock on the door or call the cops.” - R.R., 3rd year