The first step in accessing CAPS services is to schedule a Screening Appointment by calling the CAPS office at 706-542-2273. Based on recommendations from UGA and the CDC to preserve the health and welfare of our UGA community, we are conducting all services remotely at this time. All Screening Appointments will be over the phone.
At this point in the semester CAPS is no longer taking new therapy clients. During the screening you can speak with a clinician about what resources are available to you. CAPS is maintaining a wait list for students who are interested in starting therapy services in Spring 2021.
Things to Consider:
- CAPS has a brief treatment model—your needs may be best served outside of CAPS. The Athens area has great resources that you and the screening clinician will discuss as needed.
- Remember, the more availability you are able to give increases the likelihood that you will be scheduled for a follow-up sooner than later.
- Your clinician at screening may not be who you work with moving forward. CAPS matches clients with clinicians based on areas of expertise as well as availability.
- During high-demand times there may be a wait for a follow-up appointment. The screening clinician will discuss this with you and work on planning while taking the wait into consideration.
- Remember that CAPS offers Workshops and Group therapies that are helpful and effective!
- Check out our ADHD policy for more details about documentation that is required for medication treatment.
- If you receive psychiatric or counseling services from a provider outside of CAPS and want to receive services through CAPS, you will be required to transfer outside care to CAPS in order to access other CAPS services. If you would prefer to maintain your services outside of CAPS, consider scheduling a Transition of Care appointment for assistance with transitions to off- campus resources.
Ready to Schedule a Screening Appointment?
- Before the appointment you will need to enter the UHC Patient Portal to complete the Questionnaire associated with the appointment - this is initial documentation.
- Enter the UHC Patient Portal again about 15 minutes before the scheduled Screening to complete a brief Survey.
- If you are late or you have not allowed enough time to complete documentation beforehand, you may be rescheduled for the next available appointment, which may be on another day.
- If you are experiencing an urgent or crisis situation no appointment is required. You may call CAPS at 706-542-2273 and an on-call clinician will be able to speak with you at that time.