Pre-gaming? Game days in Athens?
- Set a limit—people who pre-game are likely to drink more and spend more money than those who do not pre-game.
- Eat a balanced meal of carbohydrates, proteins & fat before drinking, not just carbs.
- Do not accept pre-mixed punch from large containers. Someone cannot tell how much and what types of alcohol are used to make it or what could be added to it throughout the night.
- Measure out drinks & ALWAYS know what is in your cup. 1 drink = 1.5 oz. of 80 proof liquor.
- Avoid drinking games or play with water instead.
- Use the buddy system. Go together, stay together, go home together!
- Pace yourself! Drink water in-between alcoholic beverages.
- Leave your debit card at home. Only bring enough money for your drink limit and a taxi ride home.
- Have a safe plan to get everyone home safe.
Celebrating or friends visiting from out of town?
- Even when friends come to visit or you are out celebrating, remember to stay safe! You will have more fun and enjoy the night if you consume responsibly. Blackouts, vomiting & hangovers are no way to spend the next day!
Not drinking alcohol?
- Check out Do It Sober for fun activities in Athens that don’t involve alcohol.
- Know the signs of alcohol poisoning so you can help others who may be drinking alcohol! Unresponsive Pale or blue skin: look at lips or fingertips Vomiting while passed out Slow breathing (fewer than 10 breaths per minute) Eyes roll back in head If ANY are present, call 911 immediately!
- Be a WatchDawg! Even if you don’t know the person stop and help a fellow Dawg in need.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism – College drinking. (2007, July 12). Tips for cutting down on drinking. Retrieved from: http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/OtherAlcoholInformation/tipsForCuttingDownonDrinking.aspx