Introducing Healthy Dawg!
Do you want to be a Healthy Dawg? Doesn’t everyone? Learn how!
Who can be a Healthy Dawg?
If you are a member of the “Bulldawg Nation” and striving towards health, you can be a Healthy Dawg. That means students, faculty, staff, alumni and fans!
What is considered healthy?
Healthy behaviors enhance the general condition of the body or mind in order to increase the ability to live life fully with vitality and meaning.
What are the Healthy Dawg dimensions?
We often think of health in terms of being physically fit or free from illness. However, health is defined as being multidimensional. The six health dimensions represented by the Healthy Dawg mascot’s juggling balls are: emotional, intellectual, physical, environmental, social and spiritual.
What should every Healthy Dawg know?
- Health goes beyond the absence of illness or injury.
- There are multiple dimensions of health.
- Balance is key.
- Striving towards health requires effort.
- It’s important to be an informed health care consumer.
- Striving for good health is a life-long pursuit and involves continual learning and making changes to enhance your state of well-being.
Where will you see Healthy Dawg?
All over campus!
Healthy Dawg tips, discounts, coupons, contests and special deals will be sent out on Facebook and Twitter. Like us and Follow us.
How can I get involved?
If you want to be a Healthy Dawg and would like to get involved with the campaign, check out the Healthy Dawg Ambassadors group. The University Health Center also has additional volunteer student group opportunities.
Healthy Dawg Dimensions of Health
We often think of health in terms of being physically fit or free from illness. However, health is defined as being multidimensional.
The six health dimensions represented by Healthy Dawg’s juggling balls are: emotional, intellectual, physical, environmental, social and spiritual.
Healthy Dawg Dimensions Worksheet (pdf)
- Being optimistic and kind
- Honesty, trust, and respect
- Self-esteem, self-confidence, self-respect
- Positive body image
- Love and consensual intimacy
Anonymous Online Self-Assessment
Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)
Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention
- Openness to new ideas and cultures
- A capacity to question and evaluate
- Motivation to master new skills
- Cultivating a meaningful career path
- Creativity and curiosity
Health FAQs for Parents
Student Health Insurance
UGA Career Center
UGA Study Abroad
- Good nutrition; regular exercise
- Avoiding illness, disease, and injury
- Avoiding harmful habits like abusing drugs/alcohol
- Regular medical/dental exams
- Healthy sleep
Alcohol Awareness and Education
UGA’s Recreational Sports
- Using public transportation, walking or biking
- Buying local produce or maintaining a garden
- Turning off electronics when not in use
- Switching from bottled water to tap water
- Choosing not to smoke tobacco products
Athens Recyclable Items
Athens Farmer’s Market
Clarke County Restaurant Scores
My Environment- Athens, GA
UGA Campus Transit
- Mutually-beneficial friendships and mentorship
- Community involvement
- Health-focused hobbies and activities
- Group or team membership
- Routing for your team/school… go DAWGS!
UHC Volunteer Student Groups
UGA Center for Leadership and Service
UGA Center for Student Organizations
UGA Club Sports
UGA Greek Life
UGA Intercultural Affairs
UGA Intramural Sports
- Meditation, prayer
- Religious affiliation
- Astrology, mythology
- Belief in a higher power or afterlife
- Practicing mind/body exercises like yoga or Pilates
Athens Faith-Based Human Services
Athens Spiritual Centers
Ramsey Center’s Mind/Body Classes
Stress Management Through Spirituality
UGA Campus Ministries
UGA Department of Religion
UGA Faith-Based Student Groups